Sony Pictures Animation Celebrates 10th Anniversary
In partnership with ASIFA-Hollywood and Animation Magazine, Sony Puts a Spotlight on Its First Decade of Productions; Screenings include Filmmaker Reunions, Rare Footage and Giveaways
The 10th anniversary celebration of Sony Pictures Animation (SPA) will be a five-week series of special screenings featuring SPA’s collection of animated and hybrid films. Each screening will feature filmmakers participating in Q & A sessions, rare materials from the SPA Archives and giveaways. The series will finish in grand style with an exclusive screening of the highly-anticipated Hotel Transylvania,
The series’ initial four screenings will be hosted in Sony Pictures Animation’s revered Ray Harryhausen Theater, and will feature exhibitions of SPA production artwork in and around its facilities.
- On September 5, SPA will present Open Season, including a presentation of the Oscar®-winning short, The Chubbchubbs, and a panel discussion with Michelle Murdocca (producer), Steve Moore (executive producer) and William Haller (character animator).
- The Academy Award®-nominated feature film Surf’s Up will screen on September 13, followed by a Q & A with Oscar® nominees Ash Brannon (director) and Chris Buck (director), Chris Jenkins (producer) and Rob Bredow (VFX supervisor).
- Breakout directors Christopher Miller and Phil Lord (21 Jump Street) return to their animation roots to present Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs on September 20. The directors will be joined by producer Pam Marsden and VFX Supervisor Rob Bredow for a discussion of the film.
- SPA’s international sensation, The Smurfs, will screen on September 27. A Q & A will feature filmmakers and key artists.
- The Screening Series will close its summer run with a Saturday, September 29 screening of Hotel Transylvania – during its opening weekend in theaters – at a public venue in order to accommodate ASIFA family members. Two-time Emmy Award winning Director Genndy Tartakosky and Producer Michelle Murdocca will lead the festivities.
To read the entire Sony Pictures press release, click here.
Times and RSVP information will be forthcoming, so be sure to look for our emails, Facebook and Twitter pages for event details!